Whether it’s from snow, wind or sun, lips often reveal the first signs of abuse from environmental exposure. Dryness, cracking and peeling look unsightly and can cause a great deal of discomfort.
The good news is you can protect your lips from the harsh elements throughout the year without spending a lot of money. However, what you choose to use can either provide the long-lasting moisture and protection your lips need, or you can actually make the situation worse.
If you’re one who never leaves the house without lip balm and applies it dutifully around the clock, ask yourself this question: Do your lips seem drier with lip balm?
If so, there are several good reasons why that may be happening.
Why Your Lips May Be Dry
Compared to the rest of your body, the skin on your lips is much thinner and more delicate. Plus, your lips don’t have their own oil glands like other parts of your face so they can’t produce their own moisture.
Those two factors alone mean your lips require greater care to prevent dryness – and to soothe it when it happens.
Here are some things you can do right away to help your lips stay soft and smooth:
- Drink plenty of clear, filtered water. When your body is dehydrated, your lips can become dry.
- Avoid licking, biting and picking at your lips. Licking your lips to moisten them can just make them drier. Picking and biting prevent healing.
- Use only non-irritating and naturally soothing ingredients on your lips. Safe, healthy ingredients should not cause discomfort when you apply them.
Once your lips become parched, the skin’s barrier becomes compromised and your lips can lose even more moisture. A nourishing, botanical-based lip balm can help soothe dry, chapped lips by supplying and helping to retain the right amount of moisture.
It’s also key that you avoid certain ingredients in lip balms that can actually make dry lips worse.
10 Ingredients That Can Make Dry Lips Worse and Prevent Their Healing
If you have dry lips and they just don’t seem to improve – or if you need to reapply lip balm repeatedly around the clock, check to see if your product contains any of these ingredients:
- Artificial Flavoring
- Octinoxate or oxybenzone
- Phenol (or phenyl)
- Propyl gallate
- Salicylic acid
- Petroleum jelly or other petroleum-derived ingredients
One or more of these ingredients are found in many of the top-selling lip balms. While some of these may be potentially harmful for your health – such as artificial flavor and octinoxate, the others can irritate lips, cause dryness and slow healing. Some can even cause allergic reactions.
I recommend avoiding petroleum-derived ingredients in lip balms and other personal care products altogether.
While petroleum jelly may act as a barrier to help prevent the loss of moisture, it does not hydrate or nourish your skin. Petroleum-based ingredients can end up making your lips feel drier.
Our Intensely Hydrating Organic Lip Balms Put the Moisture Back Into Your Lips for Incredible Silky Smoothness and Protection
A blend of some of the most soothing and nourishing ingredients in nature, our Organic Lip Balms contain organic butters and oils like cacao seed butter and beeswax. This protective formula puts moisture back into the delicate skin on your lips – and helps lock it in.
Our clean, plant-based formula contains carefully selected ingredients designed to hydrate and nourish your lips to keep you looking and feeling your best...
- Organic Cacao Seed Butter
This luscious ‘butter’ is extracted from the roasted seeds of cacao during the process of making cocoa powder and chocolate. The natural pale-yellow fat is also known as ‘cocoa butter.’
- Contains high concentrations of plant flavonoids and polyphenols as well as richly moisturizing fatty acids
- Replenishes and protects your skin’s moisture barrier to soothe and smooth skin
- Organic Lemon Balm Leaf Extract
A member of the mint family, this herb is known for its calming and soothing properties and has been used as far back as the Middle Ages.
- Contains essential oils with valuable plant chemicals called terpenes
- Contains substances called tannins and eugenol that soothe dry, cracked lips
- Organic Beeswax
Beeswax is a waxy substance produced by honeybees to make their honeycombs, the structural foundation of the hive. To produce one pound of beeswax, a honeybee ingests 6 to 8 lbs. of honey from the collected flower nectar. It has a slightly sweet, honey-like taste.
- Consists of more than 280 different compounds, including long-chain alkanes, acids and esters that act as natural emulsifiers, which help replenish moisture levels in your lips
- Soothes and protects against the abuse of the elements
- Organic Sunflower Seed Oil
Cold-pressed from the seeds of the sunflower, it’s abundant in nutrients and healthy oils. This antioxidant-rich moisturizing oil helps your lips maintain a youthful look and feel.
- Rejuvenates skin and replenishes your lip’s moisture barrier
- Protects skin against the abuse of the elements
- Relieves itching due to dryness
- Organic Comfrey Leaf Extract
Available as an extract for creams and ointments, this perennial herb helps keep skin healthy and promotes an already normal inflammatory response.
- Contains allantoin, a substance that supports the growth of new cells to restore smooth, plump lips
- Its tannins and rosmarinic acid support skin health and aids to mend flaking
- Organic Calendula Flower Extract
Extracted from marigold flowers, this hydrating extract possesses many beneficial properties for skin health, courtesy of its 35 identified properties.
- Promotes skin hydration
- Protects skin against the abuse of the elements
- Smooths the appearance of wrinkles and lines
- Helps tone your lips by moisturizing
- Organic Licorice Root Extract
Licorice, or glycyrrhizin, contains more than 300 different compounds, many with valuable, potential benefits for skin.
- Contains flavonoid antioxidants that promote a healthy and youthful appearance
- Soothes redness, itching and scaling due to dryness
- Organic Flavors
We use only USDA Certified Organic flavors in our Organic Lip Balms, including irresistible Sweet Orange and Vanilla Almond. We also offer an unflavored, unscented Organic Lip Balm for those who prefer the subtle, natural flavors of just the botanical ingredients.
With Our USDA Certified Organic Lip Balms, You Smooth on Only Health-Supporting Botanicals
Even better than what’s in our Organic Lip Balms may be what’s not in them.
You won’t find any...
- Petroleum-derived ingredients
- Propylene glycol
- Octinoxate or oxybenzone
- Formaldehyde releasing preservatives
- Artificial flavors or dyes
- Soy or gluten-containing ingredients
- Genetically engineered ingredients
Plus, just like all our Organic Skincare products, our Organic Lip Balms are cruelty-free. They’re not tested on animals and are Leaping Bunny Certified, so you can feel good about applying them to your lips.
Take Control of Your Health™ While Looking and Feeling Your Best with Our Certified Organic Lip Balms in Sweet Orange, Vanilla Almond or Unscented
You don’t need to jeopardize your health to have beautifully smooth and soft lips. With our Organic Lip Balms, you can finally experience:
- Youthful-looking, smooth and plump lips.
- Intense, long-lasting hydration to replenish and lock in needed moisture.
- Effective and soothing protection against the abuse of the elements.
- Immediate, lasting relief from redness, itching, scaling and flaking due to dry skin.
Best of all, you can enjoy all these benefits without the use of harsh or potentially harmful chemicals.
Discover some of nature’s finest organic botanicals like hydrating beeswax and cacao butter, lemon balm and comfrey extracts, to help put an end to unsightly and uncomfortable dry, parched lips.
I am so confident that you will be more than satisfied, I am providing you with a Money Back Guarantee on your purchase. Please see full details below.
Order our Organic Lip Balms today in your choice of Sweet Orange, Vanilla Almond or Unscented, and enjoy silky smooth and soft lips throughout the year.